When a Building Permit is Required

       CSS Logo Aug 18 2020 Opens in new window      Now Available -Online Permitting 

The Village of Palatine has implemented a new on-line customer self-service portal. Through the Citizen Self Service (CSS) portal, residents, contractors, and business owners will be able to search for an address or parcel, apply for permits and licenses, request an inspection, and more. The CSS portal will also provide residents, contractors, and business owners the ability to start and save permit or plan applications for submittal at a later date and receive updates on submittals and requests in real time. Please see click on the links in the menu bar for more detail about each permit type. 

 Permit Types                       

The Village of Palatine requires permits for indoor or outdoor structural work, freestanding structures (such as a fence, shed, or pool), or major changes to the living area of a home. The permit process ensures that minimum safety standards are met and that construction meets local building and zoning requirements. Make sure you understand the building codes and local ordinances before proceeding with a major improvement project. All commercial and multi-family projects require permits.

The Village of Palatine offers two types of permits: Express or Standard

Express permits are for smaller detached single-family home projects specifically listed. Our goal is to have these reviewed in 3 business days. 

Standard permits are for larger projects, permanent signs, new homes or additions and all commercial and multi-family projects. Our goal is to have these reviewed in 10 business days. Pre-Submittal meetings are required. Please call 847-359-9042 to schedule an appointment. 

 Permits Required

Yes, you need a building permit for the following residential projects: (This list is not all-inclusive. Please contact the Building Department with specific questions.)

  • Patios, driveways (including paver ribbons), sidewalks, stoop or stairs - any material
  • Adding a fireplace
  • Adding rooms
  • Replacing an electric stove with a gas model
  • Constructing or replacing a driveway, sidewalk, patio, stoop or stair
  • Replacing or installing an air conditioning, heating unit or water heater
  • Adding a sunroom or 3-seasons room
  • Building or replacing a deck, shed or roof
  • Most demolition and re-grading
  • Finishing or remodeling a basement
  • Adding or altering the electrical system
  • Building or replacing a fence
  • Installing a pool or hot tub
  • Installing a pergola
  • Remodeling a kitchen (PDF) or bathroom

Most contractors will pull the necessary permits as part of the contracting job. Spell it out in your contract.

Renovation, Repair & Painting Rule

Beginning in April 2010, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (USEPA) new rule, the Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) rule, requires contractors performing renovation, repair and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities, and schools built before 1978 to be certified by the USEPA and to follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination.

Exemption to Building Permits

No, you do not usually need a building permit for the following residential projects:

  • Painting exterior or interior walls
  • Replacing a window or door with the same size/type unit and within the same framed opening
  • Installing new flooring
  • Replacing a faucet

Garage to Home Door Codes

When replacing a door from the garage to the home, the following building codes apply:

  • 20 Minute Fire Rating
  • Solid Core Door (No Windows)
  • Must have Self Closing Hinge
  • Can be wood but must be minimum 1 3/8 inch solid core


If you are still uncertain as to your need for obtaining a building permit, call the Building and Inspection Services Division at 847-359-9042. Ask to speak with a Project Development Professional, they will be happy to assist you.