Video Gaming Licensing
In April 2022, the Village Council voted to approve Video Gaming in Palatine. Video gaming is permitted in Palatine to certain businesses that meet all the necessary requirements as laid out the Village's Ordinances.
Generally, businesses only qualify for a Video Gaming license if they meet the following requirements:
- Holder of a D or N liquor license;
- Have been in business in Palatine for at least one year;
- Have held a Palatine liquor license;
- Have had no legal violations causing a suspension of its liquor or business license in the twelve (12) months prior to its application;
- Do not owe any monies or have late payments within the last year to the Village of Palatine;
- Be in compliance with all dram shop and video gaming laws, rules and regulations of the Village of Palatine and the State of Illinois.
Please visit Chapter 3, Section 35, Subsection 25 for more information on requirements for Video Gaming. Village-imposed regulations will apply to businesses interested in providing video gaming as part of their operations. At this time, video gaming cafes are not allowed in Palatine.
Video Gaming Liquor License Process
Starting in the 2022/2023 liquor renewal season, Liquor License holders D and N can apply for a Video Gaming License.
How to Get Started (Existing Businesses):
- Submit a Video Gaming Application for review.
- Submit a modified Business Plan to include Video Gaming.
- Submit a Video Surveillance Plan.
- Provide a copy of the Village of Palatine Liquor License.
- Provide a copy of the State of Illinois Liquor License.
- Provide a copy of the Terminal Operator Agreement.
- Copy of Terminal Operator’s Illinois Gaming Board License.
- Provide a floor layout with dimensions including:
- Number of video gaming machines.
- Customer seating capacity.
- Square footage of space devoted to video gaming relative to the other activities (dining, food preparation, etc.)
Before final issuance of a Video Gaming License, the applicant must also submit:
- Copy of Illinois Gaming Board Video Gaming Location License.
- Applicable license fees.
Upon proper submittal of all of the above and a final verification that the establishment is currently in good standing with the Village, a Video Gaming Liquor License may be issued by the Village Manager's Office. Fees may be prorated as necessary.
Video Gaming Cafes
Video gaming cafes or lounges are considered businesses whose primary function is to offer gaming and not food and beverages. At this time, video gaming cafes are not allowed in Palatine.
View the Village's Liquor License application and related fees here.